Irina Tarsis, Esq., brings business and art history training to her practice of art law. Her practice concentrates on disputes related to ownership of visual art. Founder and Director of the Center for Art Law, she conducts provenance research and consults on art law matters such as title disputes, copyright infringement and fair use, artists’ rights, restitution, authenticity and provenance research. Ms. is a regular speaker on resale royalty rights, due diligence in provenance research, fair use issues affecting visual arts and many others and other art law related topics.
- Successfully represents artists seeking to recover their artworks consigned to NYS Galleries.
- Represents art collectors and dealers in connection with art sales agreements.
- Litigated trusts and estates cases before the NY County Surrogate’s Court in connection with undeclared estates’ art assets.
Inaugural Art Law Post Graduate Fellow at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Ms. Tarsis has served on the faculty of Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (2012, 2017-2018) and the European Shoah Legacy Institute/Provenance Research Training Workshops in Vilnius, Lithuania (2013), Athens, Greece and Rome, Italy (2014). Her publications include articles in the Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Journal, Cultural Heritage & Arts Review, Library and The Cultural Record, the ArtWatch UK Journal and the Institute of Art & Law’s journal, Art Antiquity and Law.
Ms. Tarsis received her J.D. from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. She received her Masters Degree in Art History from Harvard University and her Bachelor of Science in International Business from the University of Virginia.
In 2016, Ms. Tarsis has been recognized as a rising star and a top rated nonprofit organizations attorney.
- U.S. District Court, Southern Districts of New York
- New York
SELECT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- 2015 — Int’l Conference: Art, Law and Crises of Connoisseurship (London, UK)
- 2016 — The 6th International Conference of Experts on the Return of Cultural Property (Gangnam-gu, South Korea)
- 2019 — A Responsible Art Market in Practice, RAM Conference (Geneva, Switzerland)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Art Law Committee)
- New York State Bar Association (Executive Committee, Entertainment, Arts and Sports Section)
- New York County Lawyers’ Association ( Art Law Committee Co-Chair 2018)
- American Society of International Law (Chair of the Cultural Heritage and the Arts Interest Group 2012-2015)